1 tablespoon ground pasilla, New Mexico, or ancho chile pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2-pound boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 large onions, cut into wedges
1 14-ounce can chicken broth
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
12 4- to 6-inch corn tortillas
Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Finely chopped green onion
Bottled green salsa
Lime wedges (optional)
1. In a large bowl, stir together ground pasilla pepper, coriander, garlic, oregano, orange peel, black pepper, and salt. Add pork to bowl; toss to coat with spices.
2. In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place pork mixture; top with onion wedges. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, orange juice, and honey until honey dissolves. Pour liquid over all.
3. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
4. Use a slotted spoon to remove meat from slow cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat; discard any fat. Drizzle meat with some of the cooking liquid.
5. Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until warm. To serve, top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the meat, cilantro, and finely chopped green onions. Serve with salsa and, if desired, lime wedges.
Servings Per Recipe 6 servings (2 tacos each)
Total Fat (g)11,
Saturated Fat (g)3,
Monounsaturated Fat (g)4,
Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1,
Total Sugar (g)9,
Vitamin C (DV%)41,
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet