- 1 lb. fresh or frozen catfish fillets
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/2 tsp. bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 a small head cabbage, shredded (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (more as needed)
- 16 --inch corn tortillas or eight 8-inch flour tortillas
- Lime Wedges
- Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
1. Thaw fish if frozen; set aside. For slaw, squeeze about 3 tablespoons juice from lime. In medium bowl combine juice, mayonnaise, and 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Set aside.
2. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish in 1-inch strips. Toss strips with Cajun seasoning. In large bowl combine cornmeal and flour. Add catfish strips. Toss to coat with cornmeal mixture.
3. In large skillet cook catfish strips, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and fish flakes when tested with a fork. Remove from skillet.
4. Wrap tortillas in paper towels. Heat in microwave oven on 100 per cent power (high) for 1 minute (or toast in a dry skillet). If using corn tortillas, stack two for each taco, or use one flour tortilla for each taco. Top with 2 or 3 pieces of fish and some of the slaw. Reserve remaining dressing to serve with tacos. Serve with limes, reserved dressing, and additional hot pepper sauce. Serve immediately. Makes 8 tacos.
- Servings Per Recipe 8 tacos
- Calories 310,
- Total Fat (g) 18,
- Saturated Fat (g) 3,
- Cholesterol (mg) 29,
- Sodium (mg) 150,
- Carbohydrate (g) 26,
- Fiber (g) 2,
- Protein (g) 12,
- Vitamin C (DV%) 23,
- Calcium (DV%) 3,
- Iron (DV%) 7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet