Great for those days you would much rather just hang out in your PJs. Tomato soup can be so comforting.
½ tablespoon olive oil
½ medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrots, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ tsp red pepper flakes
basil, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3½ cups organic low sodium chicken stock
1 28ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (diced), drained (or you can use 8 fresh tomatoes,diced)
¼ cup tomato paste
½ tbs sugar
½ cup half & half
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
hot sauce, to taste (optional)
sour cream (optional)
1. Put olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
2. Once hot, add onion, carrot, celery & garlic. Stir to coat with oil, then add salt, pepper, and pepper flakes(a
pinch of each). Stir frequently until the veggies are lightly browned.
3. Sprinkle the wheat flour over the veggies and stir to evenly coat.
4. Pour in chicken stock and reseason with a pinch of salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
5. Add tomatoes, paste, leaves and sugar. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer for 15
minutes, then remove from burner and retrieve the bay leaves.
6. Pour the mixture to a blender till ¾ of the way full, and puree. Temporarily, pour puree into a bowl, while
repeating the pureeing with remaining soup.
7. Return all the soup to the pan and stir in the half & half. Turn burner on to medium, and cook for 5
minutes, stirring regularly.
8. Give the tomato bisque a final seasoning, with salt & pepper and adding in the basil (to taste), Finally, stir in
butter (and hot sauce, if you like) to taste.
9. To Serve: Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, croutons, and fresh chopped parsley